Wage Subsidy Work Experience Program
Supports Job Seekers to learn while they earn & helps Employers to provide quality on the job training to new employees.
Program Objective: To assist job seekers in securing long term full time employment.
- The program subsidizes the wages of a new employee to offset the cost of training. A signed contract between the EPBC employer and the job seeker must be in place prior to the new employee starting work. Currently the subsidy is 50% of the hourly rate of pay for up to 24 weeks.
- The position must be at least 35 hrs / week.
- We are looking for employers who are willing and able to take time to help the new employee become a valuable member of their team.
Job Seekers, in order to be eligible, you must be:
- In need of work experience to obtain your employment goal
- Unemployed or underemployed (working 19 hours per week or less)
- Must have an Employment Insurance (EI) attachment, defined as:
- Currently receiving Regular EI benefits or
- Had a regular EI claim within the last 3 years or
- Had a maternity or parental EI claim within the last 5 years.
Need work experience? Please call 250-250-286-3441 to start the process
Employers to be eligible must be:
- In compliance with Employment Standards, Workers Compensation, the Income Tax Act, and Employment Insurance.
- In business for at least ONE year with a CRA business number.
- Registered and in good standing with WCB coverage and comply with BC Labour Standards.
- Insured – greater than or equivalent to 2 million dollars commercial general liability insurance and able to confirm that no workers will be laid off as a result of the new placement.
- Prepared to orientate and train the new employee.
Position to be eligible must be:
- A full time position (min of 35 hours per week) and intend for the position to be long-term.
- The job seeker can not already be working in the position.
- A set rate of pay – commission only positions and piece work are not eligible.
- Able to pay reasonable and competitive wages.
Call us before you hire: 250-286-3441
We can not assist if the job seeker has already started work for the employer.
Ineligible activities under the Wages Subsidy work experience program:
- Helping an employer resolve cash flow issues by subsidizing a position otherwise unaffordable.
- Providing assistance to an employer to hire a person they would normally have hired without the wage subsidy incentive.
For more information contact Michael Stephen, Wage Subsidy Coordinator at 250-286-3441 or