Archipelago Marine Research
- View predetermined imagery for trips made by fishing vessels with EM units onboard
-Identify and record groundfish species being caught by fishing vessels on a hook by hook basis
- Record your findings electronically and provide feedback to the appropriate staff
-Ship, receive, scrub and archive hard drives as needed
-Maintain hard drive inventory in port and communicate with the Victoria office on a regular basis
- Fax/scan paperwork as needed to the Victoria office
- Greet clients and direct them to the appropriate person
-Answer and direct incoming phone calls
- Ensure office is clean and organized
Qualifications & Experience:
- Highly self-motivated with strong organizational skills
- Ability to work flexible schedules including irregular hours, evenings and weekends
-Ability to work independently, follow procedures, and meet strict timelines
- Ability to identify commercially important marine species an asset
- Must obtain Fisheries Observer Certification through Fisheries and Oceans, Canada*. This required certification training is provided to successful candidates in our 2-week training course.
- Ability to meet the Government of Canada’s security clearance “Enhanced Reliability – Level 1”
- Ability to travel within Canada and the US
-High school graduation as a minimum. Knowledge of the fishing industry is an asset.
- Valid BC Drivers Licence with a reliable vehicle.
- Physically fit to climb ladders to board fishing vessels
* Fisheries Act and Fisheries (General) Regulations state that a person who owns, operates, manages, or is an employee of an enterprise that catches, cultures, processes or transports fish can not be certified as a Fisheries Observer.